Wednesday, November 12, 2014

EFCC prosecuting 441 oil theft cases

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) last week revealed that it is presently prosecuting 441 individuals for allegedly vandalising oil pipelines and stealing crude oil.
In addition, the commission is still busy with the prosecution of suspected oil subsidy thieves with over 40 persons and organisations currently in court answering to charges.

Spokesman for the commission, Wilson Uwujaren, said in Abuja at the Forum of Spokespersons of Security and Response Agencies (FOSSRA/I-Nigerian Initiative) media parley that 71 oil thieves had already been jailed by various courts, including 45 Nigerians, 10 Ghanaians, 13 Philipinos, 10 Indians, two Togolese, one Cameroonian and one Myanmar citizen.
Uwujaren said at the regular parley arranged to highlight activities of security and response agencies that one Seun Ogunbambo, Managing Director of Fargo Energy Limited, who was docked for allegedly stealing N4.5 billion in bogus subsidy claims, had absconded after he was granted bail by the court and had been declared wanted by the commission.
He also dismissed fears that the prosecution of other politically exposed persons may have been halted  and confirmed that the son of former national chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mahmud Tukur and Abdulahi Alao, a son of late Alhaji Arisekola Alao among others were still on.
“As we speak, the commission has recovered over N5 billion from persons implicated in the subsidy scam, even as it intensifies effort to prosecute more suspects,” he said.
He however, insisted that the commission was not in a position to give an advisory on whether individual undergoing prosecution for financial crimes are allowed to stand for elections.
According to him, it is left to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to make that decision.
Uwujaren also disclosed that the commission was also active in prosecuting bank fraud case and in this wise, recently nabbed Rabiu Alhassan Dawaki, a banker with an unnamed first generation bank in Kano for allegedly stealing N661 million.
“He used his position as cash officer with responsibility for evacuating cash from branches that had excess and supply to needy branches in the Kano Zone to perpetuate the fraud.”
He narrated that to position for more efficiency, EFCC has embarked on reforms to re-professionalise the commission as promised by the Chairman, Ibrahim Lamorde when he was appointed.
He said presently, “new and old staff of the commission are regularly subjected to polygraph test in a determined effort to ensure that they do not deviate from the core values of the commission, which are courage, professionalism and integrity.
Fortunately, public and institutional confidence are restored in the EFCC with relationship with international law enforcement organisations and development partners, which witnessed a meltdown a few years ago experiencing a rebound.
In the last one year, the commission hosted “investigators and prosecutors from Zambia, United States, United Kingdom, the Netherlands, World Bank and African Development Bank,” he stated.
(The Sun)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Women’s World Cup: Canada names squad to face Super Falcons, others

Canada has named their squad to play at the FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia & New Zealand. Led by Head Coach Bev Priestman and capta...