As the whole world continue to wage war against the Ebola
virus outbreak in West Africa, American business magnate, Bill Gates and
his wife, Melinda Gates, have joined hands in the fight against the
dreaded disease.
Acting in response to the devastating Ebola outbreak in four West
Africa nations, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced on
Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 that it has pledged $50 million to help
combat the epidemic.

Bill Gates in Africa
According to a news release by the foundation,
founded by Bill
and Melinda
in 2000 to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty, the
money will be made available to United Nations agencies and
international organizations involved in effort to fight Ebola in West
Africa and the continent as a whole.
The grant is meant to enable such agencies and national governments to purchase
“needed supplies and scale up emergency operations in affected countries,” the foundation said.
It was also gathered that the grant will also be used to develop
therapies, vaccines and diagnostic tests to treat patients and prevent
further transmission of the often-fatal disease.
“We are working urgently with our partners to identify the most
effective ways to help them save lives now and stop transmission of this
deadly disease,” said Sue Desmond-Hellmann, CEO of the Gates
Foundation. “We also want to accelerate the development of treatments,
vaccines and diagnostics that can help end this epidemic and prevent
future outbreaks.”

Ebola Outbreak in Africa
It would be recalled that theU.S. and officials of the World Health
Organization, WHO, have warned that the Ebola virus is spreading faster
than health workers in Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone can
work to contain it.
According to WHO estimates released Tuesday, it put the West Africa
toll from Ebola at more than 2,200 deaths and 4,200 infections,
primarily due to a surge of new cases in Liberia.
WHO officials estimate that another 20,000 people could become
infected with the virus, which has a mortality rate that can approach 90
percent.
Meanwhile, an American medical missionary being treated at a Nebraska
medical center for Ebola infection is showing signs of improvement,
according to the hospital.
The patient, Dr. Rick Sacra, 51, of Massachusetts — the third of four
U.S. health-care workers infected by the deadly virus in West Africa —
arrived Friday at the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. He is undergoing
treatment in the hospital’s 10-bed isolation unit.
According to Dr. Phil Smith, director of the Nebraska Biocontainment
Patient Care Unit, the doctors at the hospital are pleased with Sacra’s
progress.
“The physicians “continue to be encouraged by what we’re seeing up to this point,” Smith said.
Also, the fourth American health-care worker who became infected with
Ebola in West Africa continued his second day of treatment Wednesday at
Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. The patient, who was airlifted in
on Tuesday, has yet to be identified for privacy reasons.
The Atlanta hospital last month successfully treated two other U.S.
medical aid workers who had contracted Ebola in Liberia. Dr. Kent
Brantly, 33, and Nancy Writebol, 59, were flown in from Liberia in
August for aggressive treatment at Emory. Both recovered and are no
longer contagious.